Official Weekly Update Thread

All discussion on the Chapman Track Creator goes here.
TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner
Re: Official Weekly Update Thread

Post by TChapman500 » Wed May 02, 2018 2:02 pm

I've been having a very hard time keeping the updates weekly.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri May 04, 2018 6:25 pm

Progress Report Time:
I've implemented most of the code for selecting segments and sending that data to the rendering DLL. What I haven't done yet is figure out a good method for detecting when there are no segments selected afterwards. I've done some programming of the shaders to make sure that they can correctly render the selection boxes, but there isn't enough code yet to do any tests. Hopefully, I can get that code working within the next hour or so.

About those preview images I tried to post a couple weeks ago: I'm currently looking for a different hosting service, but I should have them back up some time next week. Hopefully with more previews of the segment selection behavior.

As some of you have noticed, these weekly updates haven't quite been weekly. It's been hard keeping them weekly lately. And that's probably not going to change any time soon.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Progress Report Time:
Some circular includes were causing misleading error messages. While I did find the cause of the errors, I started to split the project up into two projects. I may or may not continue with this split, but I haven't decided yet. In terms of the actual progress made this week, not so much has been done since it took me so long to track-down the real cause of the errors.

About the split projects: One project would remain the Chapman Track Creator and be generalized for any simulator while the other project would be specialized for NR2003.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:44 pm

Progress Report Time:
I have made the decision to continue splitting the project up into two projects. The one specifically for NR2003 will probably be called something like "Sandbox 2.0" and will have at least all the features of the original Sandbox track editor minus the instability issues. Most of this week was taken up with experiments and updating another project that I have going, so not very much progress has been made on this track editor this week.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Sat May 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Nice to read your news . Keep it up.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:30 pm

Progress Report:
It turns out that splitting the project into two projects is going to be much more difficult and more time consuming than what I thought it would be. So I'm just going to overhaul the original project instead of continuing with the split. This is yet another week of development time lost and getting frustrated at the pace of development. I'm thinking there has to be an easier way to do this, but I don't know what that is. No good news this week, sorry.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Sat May 26, 2018 8:24 am

Keep up. It will come up together at some point.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:38 pm

I just keep forgetting these updates don't I. Sorry about that. Anyways, here's a video I made to try to explain my intentions for this track editor using the Sandbox editor to help with the demonstration.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:20 pm

Why don't you make a video of what your work can do so far. In the future what you want is a software that can build tracks and I hope Hillclimbs too (from A to b).
Btb can do what you show in that video and just use 3dsimed to convert it to anything.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I'll see what I can do.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Here it is. Sorry, it isn't much right now.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:13 pm

Progress Report:
This week has been about fixing the bugs that I found in the concept video I posted as well as reworking how the rendering engine gets the data it needs to render the scene with. I've been working on synchronizing the main and rendering threads so that I can do more complicated updates to the scene without having to worry about crashing the editor. This also means updating the API and reworking the rendering loop.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Progress Report:
No progress this week. I had to reinstall the operating system and then slowly reinstall all of the programs that I need to get the track editor working. The data is still there ready to be worked on. Hopefully next week I can get something done with the editor.

Oddonis
New User
New User

Post by Oddonis » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am

Keep up . Good job.

TChapman500
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by TChapman500 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks. But I haven't had that much time to work on it lately.